Saturday, May 26, 2012

Reddit Problems - Cannot Submit Articles

reddit

Advice on how to resolve the submit issue


 
Reddit is an excellent source for driving traffic to your site. It is one which has a large number of users and a wide variety of topics on it. It is because of the active users of Reddit that you can see a bump in traffic when you add a topic to the site. There are the usual items of getting the correct title and subrdedit associated wtih the article you are adding. One of the issues which many are reporting is that after a time, they are blocked from adding new articles to Reddit to their site. This may happen after a few adds or weeks later. When you may actually see the message if they consider you a spammer may vary. But the message you receive once they see you as a spammer is the same.
You've submitted too many links recently. Please try again in an hour.

At that point, you are not able to add a new article. I have tried to add articles at varying times, but it still would not let me add an article. I have spent time participating by adding comments to articles so that they would see me as a valid user and not a spammer. But that did not change the situation. Nothing I tried resolved the problem where I could not add a new article at all.

I have had the same experience which many have been reporting where they essentially are locked out from adding any articles and only able to add comments to existing ones. No matter what you have done, you are not able to get reddit to accept a new submission. Given the value of reddit as one you truly need, then the ability to be able to add items to direct traffic to your site is very important. Without it, you do not get the added traffic.

Since I was encountering the same issue, I have spent quite a bit of time researching the problem and what the solution is to the problem. What I have found is that it is related to how I am adding the entries for title and url. As with anything, you want to do it the easiest way possible. For me, this involved using the copy and paste features which I am familiar with.

And therein lies the problem. After all the research and testing that I did, the problem was the cut and paste that I was doing to get the items in for title and then submitting it. Reddit is trying to make sure and block those automatic submissions that it is recognizing as doing a paste into the title field. It does not know that I am an individual who is adding an article.

What I have found is that if I paste the title, reddit sees me as someone trying to automate the submit process. If I manually type the title, it sees me as a legitimate user adding an article. That is the solution for what many have been reporting. I have been testing this for the past few days and find that for my situation, this is the solution. I have been able to submit 2 articles today for reddit pointing back to my site.

That would tend to resolve the problems which I have been experiencing where I thought that my account had been block because they considered me a spammer. This may not apply to the problems which others are experiencing, but it does appear that it is an answer for many.

One of the things you must do when working with reddit is that you need to participate in the process. You cannot just be adding items no matter how you do it as you will still be considered as a spammer. When you are on reddit, participate by reading the items which others have posted and add comments. That is what the site is designed for.

While there may be other issues with adding things to reddit, this one particular item which stopped me cold in adding things, has now been resolved.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have the same problem, I used the method you suggest, unfortunately, it's not working. It may relate to our IP address, maybe our IP address is banned from Reddit. Also I have similar problems on Hacker News.

    ReplyDelete